Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

My Overeating Contributed to My Losing a Job Once

Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. Proverbs 4:14-15

I was somewhere the other day when I remembered how overeating contributed to my losing a job, years ago. I was a senior in high school and I had worked at a hamburger/ice cream drive in. The boss had told us that he was deducting a particular amount from our wages to cover what we ate on breaks and he told us that we could eat what we wanted, so I took him at his word.

I worked there part of my junior year, senior year, and following summer. I missed my Junior Senior Ball, because I stayed to work there, because they were short-handed. Now, I say that, but the person who asked me to the ball really wasn't someone I was interested in, so working became an easy excuse for not attending. So, saying it was because of the job was really the chicken way out of dealing with the situation. I've found I've done things like that a lot in my life...more than I'd like to admit!

Anyway, I was working on a weekend and my shift was over. I was waiting for my ride home from work, when I grabbed someone's incomplete ticket that hadn't been totaled. I totaled it as a favor to the person, thinking I was doing this nice thing and the owner looked at it and fired me. He said that I had made some type of error in my calculations.

I thought it was a pretty dramatic response to an error, because I had never been told about errors in the past. As I thought about it over the years, I realized that my overeating probably had more to do with it than the error on the ticket. I was always on a diet, so when I took my break, I used to cook up a frozen hamburger steak that they used for steak sandwiches. It cost less than the amount that the owner took out of my wages and he said that we could eat what ever we wanted, so I thought nothing about it.

The owner had employees use plastic cups for their soda drinks to save the expense of cups. I don't like soda, but what I did was to put a layer of soft serve ice cream and a layer of crackle chocolate, followed by another layer of ice cream, etc. until it filled the cup. Now, this seems so funny. I was eating hamburger steaks to lose weight, but never gave the layered ice cream and chocolate treats a second thought.

Although I don't know this to be true, I have come to believe that the owner must have wondered why he was having to order more hamburger steaks when the receipts didn't show that many were ordered. Also, he may have wondered why he had to reorder the crackle chocolate when not that many dipped cones were sold. I'm figuring that once he identified that I was the one costing him money, he looked for a legitimate reason for firing me, which made itself available when I made a calculation error on that unfinished ticket that I totaled for someone.  It would be easier if I hadn't let food control so much of my life, but I didn't realize the negative impact it had on my life, at that point. Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. Proverbs 4:14-15

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: