Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Taking God for Granted...

Deuteronomy 8: 16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that He might humble thee, and that He might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end; 17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth. 18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is He that giveth thee power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day. 19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the Lord thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship then, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

Sitting there thinking about my weight gain after I scheduled some of my blog posts, I realized that I have been taking God for granted. I know He was the one that cured my overeating, but some of my old sloppy eating patterns and unhealthy thinking have been sneaking back lately. So, what does that say to me? It tells me that if I'm sloppy with my eating program, then I'm probably sloppy about my relationship with God, as well.

I go through the motions of a relationship with God, but do I really focus on it and what God wants for me? Obviously, not as much as I should. I think that I've been in a comfortable place for so long (30+ years) and I've taken God and His gift (my weight loss) for granted.

I have gotten too much into the "I's" and "Me's". "I" can have a little bit more of this, "I" can handle it. "I" don't splurge much. Well, it's not me that caused the weight loss. It was totally God. I did nothing in and of myself, except to pray and ask God to take over my overeating and my control because I couldn't do it...and He did!

I've shared before that food had become a false god to me, because I was turning to food to deal with my feelings, concerns, and stress instead of turning to God. Well, my gaining some of the weight back (27 pounds) is a wake-up call for me. I need to be mindful of not starting to think that a sloppy eating program is something "I "can handle or the weight loss is something "I" can take credit for, letting food becoming a false god to me again.

I need to be much more focused on my relationship with God, not because I don't want to gain the weight back (which is only an outward symptom of what I'm not doing). It is because my life has been so wonderful and I have never felt a happiness like this before, that started the day I turned my food and my control over to God. I'm not willing to go back to the way things were before when I always felt terrible about myself.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: