Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Were Nutrition Classes, Books, Diets, and Articles Helpful?

Hebrews 9: 14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

For the sake of this blog post, I can take dead works in this verse a couple of ways. I can take it more literally, in that my overeating to excess is something that can actually kill me. You would think that an educated person, such as myself, wouldn't have such an issue with overeating or being tempted to overeat. Haven't I taken a college level nutrition class, read every diet book at some time or other, and read enough weight loss articles to make anyone aware of the harms of being overweight?

On the other hand, dead works are those that don't lead to eternal life. Do I continue to let myself be consumed with eating, thinking about eating, or making plans of how I won't be tempted to eat something? Every time I get caught up in this focus on food, I'm forgetting to focus on God. I am allowing food to work this very subtle wedge in my relationship with God, my family, and myself, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Sure, we can make all kinds of plans of how we are are going to do better, but I found that the plans didn't work for me. The diets didn't work for me and I tried lots of them. The articles and books didn't work for me. The only thing that has worked for me is giving up making plans and instead, asking for God to take care of all of it, because I couldn't. I had to let go of my control. Once I started putting everything, my food, worries, and other things that led me to eat, into God's very capable hands, a big burden was lifted from my shoulders and I was freed up to start focusing on doing more things that God wanted me to do on His behalf.  How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? Hebrews 9: 14

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: