Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

The Opposite of the Bible Verse

Let not then your good be evil spoken of: Romans 14:16

I want to focus on the opposite of this Bible verse. It says not to Let your good to be evil spoken of, and the opposite would be not to speak evil of other people's good.  Unfortunately, I have done this more times than I would like to admit.

When I was very overweight, I had a very low self-esteem. In order to bolster my sagging self-esteem, I would put down others. In some distorted way, it made me feel better about myself, less flawed in comparison to others.

This wasn't the Christian that God wanted me to be. He didn't wanting me talking about others behind their backs, minimizing the good that they did in order to make myself feel better. He wanted so much more of me, but I didn't realize it then. 

I've tried to figure out when things started to change. It wasn't until I started reading the Bible from cover to cover and Christ started giving me life lessons, especially about how I had let food interfere in my relationship with Him, my family, and friendships. He showed me that I had allowed food to become a false god in my life, because I turned to food for comfort instead of to Him when I was stressed, lonely, afraid, etc. This started a chain reaction of realizations that Christ allowed me to see in myself. 

It wasn't until I finally gave up on diets, because I had gained weight on my "Good Diet", that things really started to change. I told God that I gave up and that if He ever wanted me to be thin, He'd have to do it, because I couldn't. I wasn't expecting anything to happen, but Jesus took away the importance of food in my life. I no longer craved large amounts of food, or sweets, or high carb foods.  He allowed a weight loss of 80 pounds and has allowed the vast majority of that weight to stay off for over 30 years!  

The thing is, when I get sloppy with my food and my relationship with Christ, I start to see a change in my weight. Fortunately for me, Christ had my pants get too tight, so that I could take stock in how I had been taking these for granted. I am trying to remember that Christ wants me to continue to grow as a Christian and to see the lessons He has for me as I apply the Bible to my life on a daily basis. He doesn't want me rushing through, going through the motions, because He has so much to teach me about myself and who He wants me to be. He wants to share these things with you, too, if you let Him!

Since I am applying these Bible Verses to my life, it may not convey the whole meaning of the verses. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: