Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Is My Overeating a Punishment?

Romans 6: 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Is my overeating a punishment? According to this Bible Passage, although we have a very sinful human nature given to all types of vices, including overeating, we who believe in Christ as our Savior are under grace. That means that we didn't earn this special grace, but it is given freely despite our sinfulness, if we believe in Christ died and rose again to save us from our sins.

Well, some might think their being overweight is a punishment from God for their actions or lack thereof, but the eating is our choice, although sometimes it doesn't feel that way. Being compulsive about overeating can feel more like a driving force, not a choice.

The thing is, I found that when I was actively involved in compulsive overeating, I was turning to food to calm me in times of stress, joy, worries, etc., instead of turning to Jesus. When I started turning to Jesus when I had that gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach like I was starved, He would aid me in identifying what was causing that feeling. Most often, something was bothering me that I was unaware of. Once I turned that issue over to Christ's very capable hands, that all-consuming gnawing feeling left and I no longer felt compelled to eat and eat and eat, because I felt starved. Christ can heal us from this vice and all our other ones if we only ask Him and are willing to turn our issues over to Him.

Because these posts are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my life, they don't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: