Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Is Compulsive Overeating Sinning?

1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil: for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 

Well, there's a part of me that would like to say no, but I wouldn't be truthful if I said something to try to make other people happy. I personally feel from the many times I've read the Bible is that sinning is anything that we work a wedge in our relationship with God, our family and/or ourselves.

Although I can't speak for others, every time I am engaged in compulsive overeating I am truly engaged in a sinful act. First of all, when I turn to food to calm me in times of stress, etc., I've made food a false god, because I haven't turned to my Lord and Savior to calm me and to deal with those issues.

Also, when I'm involved in compulsive overeating, I don't behave the same way toward family and others. Nor, do I treat myself with the respect that God would want of me. I berate myself and almost punish myself for having given into the temptations of food. Now, overeating may not seem like the biggest of sins, and maybe it isn't, but Satan uses it to ever so subtly work a wedge in our relationship with God, our family and/or ourselves.

Because these posts are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my life, they don't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: