Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Dealing With Potential Grief

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:29

I was watching a movie about a week ago. It wasn't necessarily my kind of movie, but the main character's dad died within the first five minutes of the movie and I couldn't change the channel. I actually could have, but felt drawn to that show since my dad is ailing and is hanging on by a thread and a prayer. While I watched riveted to that movie as the different members responded to their grief differently, I ate a whole large bag of light popcorn!

It's been almost two years ago that Dad moved here for us to help take care of him, because he has Parkinson's Disease. During that time, he eventually had to move to a group home after a stint in rehab following pneumonia, because the doctor's said that we were no longer able to offer him enough medical support. He lived there for quite a while. I was very blessed, because it was in my town and I could go visit him every day, because I missed him so!

Nine months after that earlier episode, Dad had to go to the hospital again with pneumonia. We thought that was the end of that, but were mistaken. It was about five days after he returned home from the hospital that we had to take him back again, because he had pneumonia in his other lung. At the end of his stay there, the doctor said that my dad needed to be in a facility that had skilled nursing. I was very sad to even consider him leaving the group home where they took such good care of him.

What I was most sad about was his leaving me! We had Dad in the local nursing home for rehab after his earlier bout of pneumonia nine months earlier. Not only was it extremely expensive after the 20 days that Medicare pays, but Dad would have had to pay that for a shared room. After prayerful consideration, we decided he should go to the State Veteran's Home which is an hour away. That way, he could still get the skilled nursing and the private room he wanted for the same amount of money it cost in the group home.

During this time, I changed my mind so many times. I had talked myself into believing it was best for Dad to be here with me rather than an hour away in the State Veteran's Home. Then, during prayer, Christ tugged on my heart about my asking what He wanted us to do for Dad. I thought about how a private room had become available for Dad at the State Veteran's Home when it never was available when we had checked before. I was listening to my own selfish nature instead of listening to what God knew was best for Dad. Fortunately, through that prayer, Christ redirected my thinking and we took Dad to the State Veteran's Home. He loves it there! About 2/3 or more of the residents are wheelchair bound and I think it makes him feel better about being in a wheelchair. Dad's still hanging on by a thread and a prayer, but I'm so glad that I finally listened instead of relying on my own desires. Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:29

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: