Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

"Being a Christian Doesn't Mean God Puts a Bubble Around Us"

And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary His mother, Behold, this Child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel and for a sign which shall be spoken against, (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed. Luke 2:34-35

When this was a portion of the scripture shortly after Christmas, my minister said some things that gave me lots to think about. He said something like, "Being a Christian doesn't mean that God puts a bubble around us." In my opinion, he was referring to how Simeon told Mary that a sword would pierce through her soul, speaking of when Christ would give His life and rise again to ransom the souls of many who were formerly lost to sin.

It made me think that I all too often expect Christ to protect me from all harm, but does that mean that Christ isn't there with me when negative things happen in my life and those I care about? Emphatically, "No!" I tell my grandkids that loving Jesus doesn't mean that bad things won't happen. It does mean that Jesus will be there with us to get us through those things.

It would be nice if I really listened from time-to-time to some of the things I spout out! It's not just knowing it in the back of my mind that Christ will be there with me through thick and thin, but applying it to my life and my faith walk. I wonder how many things I fail to do for Christ because I'm afraid to take risks? Christ was there to heal me from letting my compulsive overeating take over my soul and my life. He showed me that food had become a false god in my life, because I was turning to it instead of turning to Christ in times of stress, anger, fear, etc. If He can do all of that, He can certainly get me through the bad things that happen in my life and those I care for. And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary His mother, Behold, this Child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel and for a sign which shall be spoken against, (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed. Luke 2:34-35

Since I am applying these Bible Verses to my life, it may not convey the whole meaning of the verses. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: