Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

I Will Be Happy When This Happens…

1 Peter 4: 13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. 14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part He is evil spoken of, but on your part He is glorified.

The other day, I was sitting in the kitchen thinking I will be happy when it rains. Then, I asked myself what will I be if it doesn’t rain? Will I be unhappy? One thing led to another as I prayerfully contemplated this and God allowed me to remember what I used to say when I was overweight.

I used to say, I’ll be happy when I lose all my weight. About ten years after I started saying that, I looked back as an active overeater. I thought about how I was maybe only 20 pounds overweight and didn’t enjoy being that thin then, because I was waiting until I lost all the weight before I could be happy. I grieved for myself, because at 80+ pounds overweight at the time, I wanted to tell my younger self that I should have been happy then and enjoyed it, because that seemed so thin to me at my current weight.

As some of you know, I’ve been blessed to have been allowed to lose the 80+ pounds of excess weight and to keep the vast majority of it off for over 30 years. Now, did I do anything particular, in and of myself? No! I just gave up control of my food, life, and stress and turned them over to God’s very capable hands.

I want to say this didn’t happen overnight, but in some ways it did and it didn’t. There were lots of months prior to this point where Christ was showing me the control food had on my life. I was turning to food rather than to Jesus, so it had become a false god in my life. I felt cranky when I was overeating, which affected my relationships with my family, others, and myself. Additionally, I didn’t want to go to church much, because I didn’t want others to see how overweight I was.

Now, when I actually gave up control and told God that I gave up and would never be thin and if He wanted me thin, He’d have to take care of it- that happened the same day. That very same day, eating excessive amounts of food had no appeal to me. I was hindered as much about what others thought of me, but still had to struggle with this as I learned to turn other people’s opinions over to God’s capable hands. 

God shields me from my fears and stress, and bolsters my self-esteem. He teaches me to have joy in the moment and that I don’t have to lose every pound before I can allow myself to be happy. God wants me to be happy now and He can do the same for you, if you let Him. 1 Peter 4: 13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. 14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part He is evil spoken of, but on your part He is glorified. 

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: