Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Blaming and Excuses…

1 Thessalonians 5: 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The other day, I was watching something on TV about the overeating epidemic. It showed a segment about a teen who had bariatric surgery and regained the weight back. I noticed a tone of blame on the part of those narrating the segment. It seemed that they said the teen must have a psychological problem to have gained all the weight back after having lost it with the surgery. I, frankly, was appalled to see that they had to have someone to blame for the weight gain. How dare they blame the teen and suggest that she have a psychological problem!!!

Maybe it shouldn’t upset me so, but I was overweight during the majority of my childhood.  I didn’t have a psychological problem and I don’t think the vast majority of overeaters do. Most overeaters I’ve seen are pretty sensitive people and are not real assertive. I feel that many don’t stand up for themselves against those in their lives who take advantage of them, put them down, ignore them, disregard their feelings, etc. I think that instead of saying, “I don’t deserve to be talked to like that,” they overeat to stuff down the hurt feelings and shame. 

I also mentioned my concern about all the excuses in the segment. When they confronted the teen about the weight gain after bariatric surgery, she blamed many in her life and society as a whole. Now, this is understandable because, as humans, we tend to blame others for what we do, rather than take responsibility. Blaming others doesn’t get us anywhere either, because, we are negating any responsibility for turning to food to console ourselves through life’s events.

Fortunately for me, God took the urge to eat large amounts of food away, the need to turn to food in times of stress, and the control the scale and other people’s opinions had on me. Instead, Christ showed me over time, in John 14:6: Jesus saith unto him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.  

When I started turning the stresses in my life, my sagging self-esteem, and aching soul over to His capable hands, Christ took away the hold that food had on me all those years…and He can do it for you, too! 1 Thessalonians 5: 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
Since I am applying these Bible Verses to my life, it may not convey the whole meaning of the verses. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: