Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Do You Believe That God Can Rid You of the Desire to Overeat?

Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. Mark 9:23

Now, I don't think that Jesus is saying that anything we want we can have as long as we believe that He can give it to us. Some of the things we want aren't good for us. Some of the things we want aren't aligned with God's ultimate plan. It's difficult to understand how God can call beloved loved ones to heaven to be with Him, when we so earnestly pray for them to be healed and stay with us. Although it's difficult at times, we have to trust that Christ knows the timing for all of us to come join Him in heaven.

On the other hand, we are to pray believing that all things are possible through God, provided it's His will. God is all capable and all knowing, and although we don't always understand His timing, we need to continue to trust in His benevolent love for us.

I prayed for years and years for Christ to heal me of my overeating, but I didn't see a change at that point. I went on every diet you can imagine and lost and gained weight over the years, but still continued to pray for God to heal me of my overeating.

I had episodes where I was less than sensitive to my family, my Lord and others, because I felt terrible about myself, my weight, and my lack of control.  The thing is, when God did finally take the compulsive overeating away from me, it wasn't because I was more in control. In fact, it was the opposite.  I had given up on all the diets and thought I would always remain heavy.  I was actually telling God that if He ever wanted me to be thin, He'd have to do it, because I gave up!

It wasn't until that very day when I turned the control over into God's hands, although reluctantly, He showed me that He could heal me from my compulsions in ways that defy all my logic. It was just gone! My desire for excessive amounts of food was gone. My need to eat crunchy things was gone, although when I'm starting to get lax with my relationship with Christ and turning my stress and food over into His very capable hands, I have been known to down a half a bag of tortilla chips.  (I feel compelled to be honest with you.)

Christ is there listening to us. I had to learn how food had control over my life and my relationship with others, including Him.  I had to find out that food had become a false god in my life, because I had turned to it in times of stress, etc. rather than turning to my Lord and Savior, but in spite of that, Christ never turned His back on me. Sure, my prayer wasn't answered the first or the hundredth time I prayed for Him to heal me, but it was on God timing. We have to have faith in Him and trust His ultimate will doesn't always go the way we want it to, but know regardless of whether our prayers are answered: "Yes", "No", "Later", "Maybe", "Sorry, I have other plans intended", that God will hold us in the palm of His hand and will get us through the good and the bad and everything else in between if we only believe in Him.  Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. Mark 9:23

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: