Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Having Obsessed Over Food, This Passage Puts Me In My Place…

And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much [manna] had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating. Exodus 16:18

You should really read the rest of this passage. It puts me in my place when I get worried that I’m going to run out of whatever food I think is important, at the time. When the Israelites were on their way to the Promised Land, God provided them with manna. He told them how much to collect each day, no more no less.

God always provided what was needed. The person, like me who was obsessed that they wouldn't have enough, and gathered too much, had exactly what was needed, no more. God showed them that they had no need to obsess over food and hoard it, in case of a shortage. He took care of their every need.

I need to apply this passage in my own life. Even though God allowed me to lose 80+ pounds over 30 years ago, I still find myself getting caught up on obsessing over food. If there is a go-to food like: low fat cottage cheese and crushed pineapple in its own juice, I have to have plenty of it on hand, in case I should run out. I’m not sure I know why I do this, since I’ve been so blessed by God’s taking my compulsive overeating away.

I guess Satan is still trying to work with my weaknesses. I guess my having two or three containers of low fat cottage cheese and four or five cans of crushed pineapple in its own juice is really giving God a messages I am ashamed of. I’m afraid my actions are saying, “I don’t really trust You to continue to keep my weight off, although You've done it for over 30 years. Just in case You let me down, I’m going to have food stashed in my fridge to protect me should I be overwhelmed by an uncontrollable urge.” I would never, ever what to give God this impression. Oh, I have so much that I need to turn over to God’s very capable hands. And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much [manna] had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating. Exodus 16:18

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: