Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

I Want to Be the One to Comfort Others, but I’m Not…

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, He shall testify of Me: John 15:26

FYI: This verse is really talking about when the Holy Spirit comes from God the Father, He will testify of Jesus.

I don’t know why, but most of my life, I feel like I should be able to say something significant to others in times of hardship that will comfort them. I feel like when there’s been a death in someone’s family, I should know exactly what to say to ease their burden. When someone has separated from their spouse, I should know exactly what to say to ease their burden. When someone has lost their job, I feel I should know exactly what to say to ease their burden, but I don’t!!!

Now, I have tried to say comforting things in times of distress, only to realize that it just made things more awkward or it made their pain seem less significant. That definitely wasn't my goal. I’ve read articles that say that I’m not supposed to tell those who are grieving that I know how they feel, because it minimizes their personal pain. I have read articles that say that I shouldn’t point out the light at the end of the tunnel, because they aren't at a point where they can see it.

There have been many times over the years, when I ate myself silly for not knowing how to deal with my inadequacies. I am at a loss. Why do I put this burden on myself? Why do I expect myself to come up with the perfect thing to say that is going to turn their grief and misery around?  Am I trying to play God? Boy, this post is really hitting close to home. Ouch!

Am I trying to be the comforter, when there’s only one Comforter who can heal their pain or show them the light? I am realizing that I have to let go of this desire. I just need to work harder at listening to their pain, instead of trying to find the answers to cure it. I need to let them know the real Comforter will get them through this if they only let Him. But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, He shall testify of Me: John 15:26
Since I am applying these Bible Verses to my life, it may not convey the whole meaning of the verses. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: