Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Don’t Let Your Sagging Self-Esteem Pull You Down!

Romans 8: 1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

It’s so easy to let your sagging self-esteem pull you down, but that’s not what God wants in our lives. Sure, Satan has had a stronghold on us through our eating, poor body image and sagging self-esteem. Christ gave His life for us, so that we don’t continue to walk after the ways of the flesh which Satan uses to undermine our faith. If we turn our food, body, eating, control, and stress over into God’s very capable hands, He can free us from this.

 You might say, “Oh, sure! God did this for her, but He won’t do this for me. I have no will power, I’m such a sinner, my faith is weak, etc.” Well, I’m nobody special, and yet I am, because I am a child of God…and so are you. If God could take away my overeating, remind me to turn to Him when I’m feeling stressed instead of to food, He can do it for you, as well.

I didn’t do anything particularly special. I just told God that I give up on the diets, trying to be thin, etc. I told Him that if He ever wanted me to be thin, then He’d have to do it because I can’t. Actually, when I prayed this, I wasn't really expecting anything to happen, because I was just giving up. I had prayed to God a million times over the years about my food, but this must have been the first time that I had totally given up and turned it over to God’s capable hands instead of asking God to “help me” lose the weight.

All I know, is if God can do this for me, He can do it for you, as well. Of course, it’s important that we trust God’s ability and timing for all these things. God had certain lessons for me, prior to my giving up and turning it all over to Him. I had to see the control that food was having on my life and the way it affected my interactions with my family and with Him. He showed me how I was turning to food instead of to Him, which made food a false god in my life, although I loved God dearly. These were significant lessons I needed. I think I needed to see how powerless I was over food, eating, my body, my stress, control, etc.

I think God’s having me know this, made it so that I could see the miracle He did in my life when He had me lose 80+ pounds over 30 years ago. Otherwise, I might have thought the weight loss was from my hard efforts at dieting. I think God wanted me to see His hand in this miracle. If He can do this for me, He can for you, as well. Be patient and continue to turn these and other issues over to God’s capable hands every day and before you put anything into your mouth.  Romans 8: 1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.



Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: