Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

To Turn Away or Smile?

Acts 26: 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom I now send thee. 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me.

When I was growing up, I was told that I shouldn't look at people with disabilities or minorities. Being an inquisitive kid, I asked why and I was told that those people would think you are staring at them, because of their differences and that was rude. 

I didn't want to be rude, so I learned to turn my head any time I was walking near someone with a disability or was a minority. I thought I was being polite, all those years. It was many years later when I found out that I had been misinformed. I was talking to a young minority lady at one of my husband's work conferences, I found out that when I turn my head to avoid looking like I am staring, it comes across as if I'm repulsed by their differences. It looks to them like I don't approve of them and don't feel they are work acknowledging with a smile.

I realized that it's important for me to look at smile at have a disability or are a minority. The difficult thing is that although that's my desire, I find that I instinctively turn my head many times when I cross the path of those with a disability or is a minority. Sometimes, I do what must look like a double-take. I see someone and instinctively turn my head, realize what I've just done and turn my back to face the person and smile. By the time I smile at them, they will no longer make eye contact with me to see that I am smiling, which saddens me. It feels like I've hurt the feelings or self-esteem of someone who may already feel marginalized and I've contributed to that feeling. This has been an on-going struggle since I first talked to the young lady some 20+ years ago, but I've not been able to completely change my instinctive response although I really try. It's just like I try to fight the temptations like overeating that Satan puts in front of me, although I try. It is only when I turn these weaknesses over into Christ's very capable hands when there is truly a change. I'm just now realizing that I need to be turning my instinctive turning away when passing others  over to Christ's very capable hands, because He alone can heal my weaknesses. I need to be prayerful about this. 

Because these posts are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my life, they don't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: