Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Loving Ourselves, As Well

1 John 4: 9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

 This is a beautiful passage and shows what God did for us to give Jesus up to suffer, die and rise again for our freedom from the eternal consequences of sin. Rightfully so, with having such a forgiving love from God, we should love one another, but I want to address that we should love ourselves, as well.

All those many years, I felt unlovable, because I was overweight. When I was younger, the other kids didn't want to pick me for their teams, so it reinforced my feeling unlovable. When I compared myself to others, I always came up lacking. (Of course, I wasn't lacking in Christ's eyes. He gave His life for me, but I hadn't made those connections, at that time.)

Sometimes when I would overeat, I remember feeling like I was punishing myself for not being a better person or maybe I should have said a thinner person. It seems like the thin people were the ones who had all the friends. They are the ones who got chosen for sports. They are the ones who... I was so busy identifying all my flaws in comparison to superficial standards like weight and friends, that I couldn't love myself.

That led to me pushing others away, because I felt unlovable. It means I pushed God away, because I felt unlovable. It means I pushed myself away, because I felt unlovable. Now, my starting to feel lovable came before God allowed me to loose the 80+ pounds. He had to show me that I was lovable and how much He cared for me, before I could be open to the lessons He had for me. A big key is this passage. God loves us no matter what we weigh, what we look like, how many friends we have or don't have, how many vices we have and what terrible things we may have done in the past. Christ suffered our punishment, because He loves us, so we can join Him in heaven someday, regardless of our size, etc. He loves us just the way we are. Fortunately, He also will help us give up our vices if we ask Him to and turn the control over to His capable hands, because He loves us!

Because these posts are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my life, they don't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: