Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Going Down a Slippery Slope

1 Thessalonians 3:8 For now we live, if ye stand fast in the Lord.

This Bible verse reminds me that I was going down a slippery slope until Jesus saved me from myself. I felt humiliation for my size and my overeating. The more I felt that way, the more I ate, almost to punish myself for my actions or my lack of will power. My actions were counterproductive and only made me feel worse about myself. 

It wasn't until I was in the depths of despair that I told God that I gave up trying to loose weight and if He wanted me to be thin, He'd have to do it, because I couldn't. I really didn't expect Him to do anything, but fortunately He was listening and is a God of Action! It was that very same day, that my urges for large quantities of food were taken away from me. I wasn't even tempted by a banana split, one of my favorite decadent foods. It wasn't me that was doing it. I hadn't done anything different. The only thing I did was to give up.

Well, trying to figure this out over the years, I found out that was the crucial thing! All those years I had tried to be in control of everything: my life, my food, etc. and I would ask God to help Me take care of those things. This was the first time, I gave up. It's the first time, I put these things in Christ's capable hands. Once this happened, it changed my whole life. In the process of letting Christ be in control of my life,  He allowed me to lose over 80 pounds and to keep the vast majority of it off for over 30 years. 

Do, I still get caught up going down a slippery slope?  Well, sometimes I fall back in to old patterns and turn to food. Fortunately for me, Christ shows me what I'm doing and as soon as I turn it over to His capable hands, He refocuses me. That's why this verse is so significant: For now we live, if ye stand fast in the Lord
 1 Thessalonians 3:8

Because these posts are examples of how I've applied these Bible verses to my life, they don't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse. Debbie

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: