Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Ulterior Motives

He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD: and that which he hath given will He pay him again. Proverbs 19:17

With having been heavy so much of my life, my self-esteem was low. Maybe it would have still been low if I hadn't been heavy, but I'm unsure. I used to do nice things for people with the ulterior motive of getting what I call the "Good Debbie's." People would compliment me for the things I had done and it temporarily bolstered my self-esteem, or at least my self-perception.

When I was old enough to be involved in church, I tried to do the same thing. I was a Brownie Point Christian volunteering for every committee I possibly could, trying to do things to win the admiration of others and God. The thing is, the admiration of others doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. It only matters what God thinks of me and what I think of myself.

I had to change my perspective to make sure that I am doing things for the less fortunate just because that's what God would want. This made me think, am I doing the nice things for the less fortunate to get Brownie Points from God? I'm hoping that's not the case, but being a very faulty human being, I may get caught up in still having ulterior motives, just more subtle. I have to be prayerful that my motives are truly genuine and not for any type of recognition. He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD: and that which he hath given will He pay him again. Proverbs 19:17



Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: