Posted on Tuesday and Thursday mornings

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What Is Vain Deceit?

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

I have found myself led to engage in philosophical discussions on religion, at times, but have since learned to be more cautious. I especially feel compelled to engage in conversations where the person is telling me that god only helps him who helps himself. This was the so-called passage that got me started reading the Bible from cover to cover. It's funny how people will say things like: god only helps them that help themselves to people who are overweight. Don't they realize how insulting they are being, making it sound like the person isn't even trying to control their eating? Many times, this is very far from the truth!

At first, I tried to find key words from this so-called passage in the Concordance at the back of the Bible, to no avail. I finally gave up looking for it and decided that reading the Bible was the only way I would ever know if it was in it. I read the Bible from cover to cover, but it wasn't in there anywhere or anything similar to it. Actually, God through the Bible tells us in a variety of passages that we are supposed to turn to Him in all things (pharaphrased). We are not supposed to help ourselves first.

Years later, when I was using Aesop's Fables to prepare my students for a state test, I found that god helps him who helps himself is in Hercules and the Wagoner. This isn't talking about the one true God, but a mythical god. I found this passage when I read the Bible. And they shall turn away their ears from the Truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Timothy, Chapter 4:4

Although I can't quote a lot of verses from the Bible by memory and others are able to dance circles around me with their philosophical talk while quoting Bible verses out of context, I have learned to not engage in discussions of this nature. I tend to only respond when people say something about god helps him who helps himself, because I know it's not even remotely in the Bible. The good part about this was that I was led to read the Bible from cover to cover to find out the truth. In doing that, I found I love reading the Bible so much that I've read it cover to cover 16+ times. I find this an ideal way to start my day! Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:


(I have to tell you that Cameron Russell, although a model, internally is not an example of vain deceit. She exposes modeling as something superficial, but the true importance is who we are, what we become, and how we treat others. She draws attention to the fact that many youth are insecure about their bodies. She draws attention to the fact that everyone is not gifted with bodies that evoke praise, in that many who are minorities are not looked on with favor and are often singled out because of their looks/ethnicity, when she gets positive attention because of hers. I admire the message she is trying to share through her TED Talk. Debra Seiling)


Weight Loss Tips Video: Cameron Russell: Looks Aren't Everything. Believe me, I'm a Model.
by: Cameron Russell, TED via You Tube

I have decided to include Weight Loss Tip Videos instead of the Healthy Tips I have been doing prior to this to provide a wide variety of tips for weight loss. See Disclaimer. I, personally, lost the weight through prayer and good nutrition, and do not promote any weight loss gimmicks. Debbie

Disclaimer: Please consult a physician and be prayerful before considering any of the tips presented in these Weight Loss Tips Videos or their ads. I am not responsible for the content of the videos or their ads. Debra Seiling


Please click on comments below to share your joys, concerns, recipes, prayers, and miracles. Thanks!

Christ's Grace Abounds

Bible Study: Relating the Bible to YOUR Life! Link

Bible Study: Relating the Bible to YOUR Life! Link
Easy Bible Study to Learn to Make Bible to Self, Text, World, and Media Connections

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives