Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Am I Trying to Buy My Way to Heaven?

And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whom soever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Acts 8: 17-19

This passage seems to be very far removed from our lives, but is it? I can think of all too many times when some charity or activity at the church needed help, rather than put the effort in, I pulled out my checkbook.

Is that all bad? I guess it depends. It depends if I’m writing a check to look pious to others in the church or charity with a minimum of effort on my part. It depends if I am fully able to help out, but am selfish with my time, so I pull out my checkbook instead. It depends on whether I’m able to make a significant difference to this particular cause and I’m making a minor difference by what I choose to donate. I might need a new pair of shoes to go in that closet with endless rows of shoes, right???

These are hard things for me to come to terms with over the years. I have to continue to not just turn my food, body, eating, and stress over to God’s very capable hands, but I need to be willing to assist where God needs me. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whom soever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Acts 8: 17-19

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: