Posted on Tuesday and Thursday mornings

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Am I Trying to Buy My Way to Heaven?

And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whom soever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Acts 8: 17-19

This passage seems to be very far removed from our lives, but is it? I can think of all too many times when some charity or activity at the church needed help, rather than put the effort in, I pulled out my checkbook.

Is that all bad? I guess it depends. It depends if I’m writing a check to look pious to others in the church or charity with a minimum of effort on my part. It depends if I am fully able to help out, but am selfish with my time, so I pull out my checkbook instead. It depends on whether I’m able to make a significant difference to this particular cause and I’m making a minor difference by what I choose to donate. I might need a new pair of shoes to go in that closet with endless rows of shoes, right???

These are hard things for me to come to terms with over the years. I have to continue to not just turn my food, body, eating, and stress over to God’s very capable hands, but I need to be willing to assist where God needs me. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money. Saying, Give me also this power, that on whom soever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Acts 8: 17-19

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.


Video: Weight Loss Story-Zumba Classes Gave Kendra the Strength to Lose 151 Pounds
by: Kendra Bates on GPB TheWeighWeWereTV via You Tube

I have decided to include Weight Loss Tip Videos instead of the Healthy Tips I have been doing prior to this to provide a wide variety of tips for weight loss. See Disclaimer. I, personally, lost the weight through prayer and good nutrition, and do not promote any weight loss gimmicks. Debbie

Disclaimer: Please consult a physician and be prayerful before considering any of the tips presented in these Weight Loss Tips Videos or their ads. I am not responsible for the content of the videos or their ads. Debra Seiling


Please click on comments below to share your joys, concerns, recipes, prayers, and miracles. Thanks!

Types of Christians Blog Link

How to Know Jesus Is God's Son

Jesus Calls You, But Do Your Actions Say You Don't Desire Him?