Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

What Do We Tell Ourselves?

2 Corinthians 1: 3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Hearing some youngsters calling names, putting each other down, I wondered what we tell ourselves. Do we do the same things to ourselves? Do we put ourselves down? It didn’t take me long to say a resounding Yes! I have put myself down more than I would ever like to admit.

When I was heavy, I used to make joking comments about myself being fat, trying to beat others off at the pass so that I said it before they did. I always secretly hoped that someone would say that I wasn’t fat and shouldn’t say that, but no one ever did. Actually, it just reinforced to me that others just viewed me as fat, which further hurt my sagging self-esteem.

When someone would complement the clothes I wore, instead of saying thank you the way I should have, I would find some aspect of the clothing to minimize it. I might say I got it on sale, or at a thrift shop, or that it had a minor flaw. It amazed me that the same person who had just paid me a complement about my clothing would squirrel up their face and look at the same piece of clothing with disdain. When I said these things, I thought I was being humble, but in reality it ended up being another time that I felt worse about myself.

Just think of all the times we say, “I’m so stupid,” for such and such. “Oh, I’m such a ditz,” and the list goes on. The thing is, this passage says that God comforts us in all our tribulations. Unfortunately, we are the cause of many of our tribulations by what we tell ourselves. Our comments to ourselves are just as destructive as the comments of others.

Fortunately for me, God shows me that my life is of value to Him. I am not stupid. I am not a ditz and if I’m overweight, that God loves me no matter what size I am. 2 Corinthians 1: 3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: