Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Could a Bag of Chips Really be a False god?

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17

There was a time when I didn’t know how food undermined my relationship with my family, my self-esteem, and my relationship with Christ. Now that I know, there are still times where I am tempted and find myself backsliding into the pits of food obsessions.

God went to great lengths to take my compulsive overeating away, allowing me to lose 80+ pounds over 30 years ago and to keep the majority. During that time, Christ showed me many times that I had let food become too important in my life. When food was that important, it meant that Christ wasn’t, because at that point, it had become a false god to me.

Could a bag of chips really be a false god? It does when I let the desire for eating something crunchy consume me. I have this play on words in my head-my kind of humor. Was it that the desire for the chips was consuming me or that I was consuming the bag of chips?

Regardless, anytime anything has that control on our lives, pushing a wedge in our relationship with Christ, it becomes a sin, especially when you know it in advance. As I said earlier, there was a time I didn’t know that food had this effect on me, but then there was a time that I was aware of it. It’s when I know this and still choose to do it despite this knowledge, it’s a problem.

I don’t want to revert back to letting food be a false god in my life. I want to have my focus on Christ to heal me from my destructive tendencies, which He can if I let Him. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: