Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

What Is Vain Deceit?

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

I have found myself led to engage in philosophical discussions on religion, at times, but have since learned to be more cautious. I especially feel compelled to engage in conversations where the person is telling me that god only helps him who helps himself. This was the so-called passage that got me started reading the Bible from cover to cover. It's funny how people will say things like: god only helps them that help themselves to people who are overweight. Don't they realize how insulting they are being, making it sound like the person isn't even trying to control their eating? Many times, this is very far from the truth!

At first, I tried to find key words from this so-called passage in the Concordance at the back of the Bible, to no avail. I finally gave up looking for it and decided that reading the Bible was the only way I would ever know if it was in it. I read the Bible from cover to cover, but it wasn't in there anywhere or anything similar to it. Actually, God through the Bible tells us in a variety of passages that we are supposed to turn to Him in all things (pharaphrased). We are not supposed to help ourselves first.

Years later, when I was using Aesop's Fables to prepare my students for a state test, I found that god helps him who helps himself is in Hercules and the Wagoner. This isn't talking about the one true God, but a mythical god. I found this passage when I read the Bible. And they shall turn away their ears from the Truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Timothy, Chapter 4:4

Although I can't quote a lot of verses from the Bible by memory and others are able to dance circles around me with their philosophical talk while quoting Bible verses out of context, I have learned to not engage in discussions of this nature. I tend to only respond when people say something about god helps him who helps himself, because I know it's not even remotely in the Bible. The good part about this was that I was led to read the Bible from cover to cover to find out the truth. In doing that, I found I love reading the Bible so much that I've read it cover to cover 16+ times. I find this an ideal way to start my day! Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: