Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Trying to Stack the Deck

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:19

I think that with being overweight so much of my childhood, I struggled with my self-esteem. I tried to stack the deck to get the attention of others in ways to counteract that. I used to do favors for people hoping to get Atta Boys which I call Good Debbie's. I liked the praise I got when I did nice things for others and tried to get more and more.

I would anticipate things that people might need and attempt to accomplish them whether they really needed assistance or not. I am realizing that this is a common theme in my adult life, as well. Maybe, I'm still an Atta Boy Christian, even though I think I've grown beyond that.

I don't want to be dependent on the compliments of others to give me my self-worth. I get that from my relationship with Christ. He fills my inner void in ways that no amounts of food or compliments could ever do. I don't have to give up doing nice things for people, but it is much better to do it subtly so that no one is aware. God wants me to have a humble spirit, not focused on the Atta Boys or worldly gain for the things I do for Him. Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:19

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: