Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Eating the Door Knobs Off in Order to not Rock the Boat...

1 John 2: 9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. 10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is non occasion of stumbling in him.

I was an adult before I ever identified that I was angry with a family member. I remember feeling like I could "eat the door knobs off". That's my term for having this gnawing feeling in my stomach that feels like I'm hungry. First, I'd eat something, but the feeling didn't go away. I'd try eating something else, but the feeling was still there. I would follow it by something I loved to eat thinking it would surely satisfy that feeling inside me, but I was wrong.

It wasn't until the time frame that I turned my overeating and control over to God, that He had me realize that it was feelings that were causing the gnawing feeling in my stomach all those years-not hunger. I had eaten loads of food in order to appease that gnawing feeling and went to bed afterward with a sick stomach from eating so much.

While I was in the bed, surrounded by nothing but quiet and God, I had a conversation with Him about all of this. It wasn't a formal prayer, just conversation with God like I would with a friend about not feeling very well after eating and still having that gnawing feeling in my stomach. That's when the thought was in my mind that the gnawing feeling in my stomach didn't have anything to do with food at all.

I was quiet for awhile and the thought was that it had to do with my frustration over a family event I was supposed to attend. I realized I was upset with someone who tended to make the family events uncomfortable for everyone else. I didn't know what to do with all these feelings. As I said, I'm a peacemaker, trying to go around making everyone happy, because I don't like anger. I had spent my whole life trying to be cheerful, hiding my anger for so long that I didn't even know when I had it. Instead, all those years, I had that gnawing feeling in my stomach and ate until I was sick to my stomach rather than deal with any anger.

It was interesting to me. I had to realize I was angry, before I could turn it over to God. After I turned that over to God, I needed to try to understand the person's pain and try to be open to forgiving that person. Then, I had to pray and ask God to take care of what I said and did in uncomfortable situations and He always does.

This is especially significant to me right now, because I had been dreading an uncomfortable interaction with a family member over money. Funny, how many negative family discussions have something to do with money. I debated writing a letter, but I felt led to call instead. I prayed before I made the call and asked God to guide what I said and He did. I was able to share my point of view without being hurtful and the conversation went well. It's so different from all those years when I felt like "eating the door knobs off" in order to not rock the boat.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: