Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Do You Ever Look Down On Someone Who Is Heavier Than You Are?

1 John 4: 9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent his son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
So, here's the big question. Do you ever look down on someone who is heavier than you are? If I am truly being honest, as hopefully all of us are, I have done this more times than I'd like to remember. I remember justifying my weight by seeing someone else who was heavier and saying to myself that at least I wasn't as heavy as that person.  Now, I regret this terribly!

I know what pain and insecurity lies behind those extra pounds that others laugh at. I know how people ignore the opinions and ideas of those who are overweight. I know what it feels like to not want to walk outside where others might see the extra weight I had gained and bring it to my attention in case I hadn't noticed.

Why would I ever look down on someone else who was experiencing the same things or worse? Why was I letting Satan blind my view of others in the same position, instead of being supportive the way that Christ would want? Although I can't answer all these questions, I do know that God has turned my heart around to look at others with empathy and respect. I do know that these people are caring, sensitive people, with brilliant minds and ideas, who lack the self-esteem to show this to others, because they have been knocked down so many times.

Fortunately for us, Christ shows us that we don't have to give up. He can change us and heal our aching hearts by turning to Him instead of to food. He can give us peace when life is chaotic. He sees the beauty in us when we can't even see it ourselves. He also shows us that we are to have the same Christian love for others experiencing the same issues or those with other vices.
1 John 4: 9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent his son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: