Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Not for the Attention of Others…

Matthew 6: 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray unto thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Christ has had this passage come back into my mind so many times. Struggling for so many years with a sagging self-esteem to go along with my overweight body, I did everything I could to please others. I longed for what I call the “Good Debbie’s.”

I would do nice things for people, sometimes above and beyond what would be expected, because I derived some self-worth when people would complement me. (Good Debbie’s)  When Christ showed me how I was turning to food and to others for attention, I struggled with how to meet the needs of my struggling self-esteem.

At first, I started doing the “Good Debbie’s” for God. This post is really beneficial for me, because I just realized that I had been doing that. I tried to draw God’s attention to what I was trying to do for Him, but that’s not what He wants of me. God wants me to humbly pray to Him in private, not expecting anything in return.

The more I genuinely turned to Christ; I was blessed by God’s healing my self-esteem. I didn’t have to do monumental things for Christ to get His attention. He already loved me enough to give His life for me. Matthew 6: 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray unto thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. 

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: