The student is not above the Teacher, nor a servant above his Master. Matthew 10:24 NIV Bible
I was a teacher for many years, of a wide variety of age groups and abilities. I seemed to find my self-worth in being a teacher. It really hit me hard when we had moved back to our previous stated, and found out that it wasn't very easy for me to obtain a teaching job. When we had talked about moving back to that previous state, I thought, "No, big deal! It should be easy for me to find another teaching job!" Boy, was I ever wrong!
There was an economic crisis, and they were weren't hiring many, if any teachers in the school districts were we lived. What I thought would be an easy process, turned out to take two years before I got a full-time teaching job! The time I spent waiting for the full-time teaching job, was some of the most productive, soul-searching time, I ever had! The Lord God knew that I had attached my self-worth to being a teacher. Over that two year period, I ended up planning curriculum for a preschool, volunteering in schools, taking a part-time teaching position for an aide, and editing the book the Lord had previously led me to write.
It took until I was at the point that I felt that who I am, wasn't dependent on my teaching career, and I started realizing that what I did in the future was in the Lord God's hands. I had to get to the point, that knowing that the Lord was in charge, was more important than whatever career I might have, if any! When being a teacher, didn't matter to me anymore, that's when the Lord allowed me to have a full-time teaching job. But this time, it wasn't so important, in that, I realized that my viewing myself as something special as a teacher, was arrogant. I needed to be a teacher with a humble heart, which is something the Lord worked to change within me, and He continues to do!