Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

When I Turned My Control Over to God, My Life, My Weight, and My Relationships Started to Change...

Matthew 6: 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them; for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him.

I saw something in a movie the other day that reminded me of how God's worked in my life in a similar way. For most of my life, I've said these elaborate prayers, but it wasn't until I gave up and turned my control over to God, who knows my every need, that my life, my weight, and my relationships started to change.

I was influenced by this story I heard years ago. It reminds me so much of myself and my relationship with God. There was this young man who walked to the edge of the cliff to look down and see what was at the bottom. All of a sudden, the dirt he was standing on started to crumble and he found himself falling. He grabbed onto a root that was sticking out from the side of the cliff and he called out, "God, if You're out there, help me!"

God replies, "Yes, My son."

The man says, "Save me, God, for I have fallen and can't hold on much longer."

God says, "Let go of the root, My son."

The man's response is, "Is there anyone else out there?"

So many times, I haven't trusted God to take care of me, my life, my weight, and my relationships with others. When I felt God was leading me in particular directions that felt uncomfortable, I, just like the young man started doubting God and second-guessing the instincts He gave me. In the story above, there might have been a little ledge just inches below his feet where he could have slid to the safety that God provided, but he couldn't trust God would take care of him. He looked elsewhere.

 I no longer want to turn to food, others, and vices to heal my aching soul and relationships. I need to say, "God, if you want me to do this, I am willing to do Your will, because I know You will hold me in Your very capable hands." Matthew 6: 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them; for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: