Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Leaving Food on My Plate-

Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase. Proverbs 3:9.

This is kind of a difficult one to explain to someone else, but here goes...When I read the passage above when God had me lose the 80+ pounds over 30 years ago, it impacted my life. Sure, the Israelites, were bringing the first and best of all their fruits, vegetables, animals, etc. to the priests as an offering to thank God for saving them from bondage to the Egyptians.

At first, it didn't seem like this verse pertained to me. Then, I got to thinking...God saved me from bondage to food. I used to eat over anything and everything. I ate over stressful situations, over joyful situations, over boredom, etc. You name it, I ate over it. Well, God took that compulsion to overeat away from me and it wasn't by anything I did. I just told God that I gave up and if He ever wanted me to be thin, He'd have to take care of it...and He did!!!

Starting that same day, I no longer had the desire to eat great quantities of food. God showed me that when I'm stressed, I need to turn it over to Him. When I'm happy, I need to be thankful to Him and react to my emotions in less destructive ways. After that day, I could look at a banana split loaded with crunchy nuts on it and it no longer called me by name. It really didn't matter to me and neither did it matter that others were eating foods I liked in front of me.

After realizing that God had saved me from the bondage to my food, the idea came into my mind that I could give God my first fruits to thank Him for saving me from myself. I figured the very first bites of anything I ate always tasted the best. So, I leave a bite of each food I'm eating on my plate to remind me that God alone has freed me from the compulsion to overeat. Honor the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase. Proverbs 3:9.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

These Are Other Blogs I Felt Led to Write:


Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: