Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

When I Can't See the Forest for the Trees



But He turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind Me, Satan: thou art an offence unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Matthew 16:23

Sometimes, I’m a Can’t See the Forest for the Trees Christan, letting worldly things interfere in doing what God calls me to do. In the verses prior to this, Jesus has just told Peter how he is going to suffer many things, be crucified, and raised again on the third day, but Peter couldn’t see the forest for the trees.

Peter rebuked Jesus and told Him that this shouldn’t happen to Jesus. The thing is, Jesus always sees the Big Picture. He knew that if He didn’t die and rise again, we sinful human beings would have no hope for salvation otherwise.

Sometimes, I get to where I can’t see the forest for the trees, as well. There are times where I hear God’s gentle tugging at my heart, but minimize it and go on to do other things that I determine is much more important.  God always sees the Big Picture, so that thing I may have minimized may have been exactly what God needed me to do to bring about the outcome He desired.

Here’s a very simplistic example: I felt a tugging on my heart to sort through my clothes to donate them, but put it off determining that I should clean my house instead. In this example, someone who may have needed a particular garment I would have donated wouldn’t have it.

Fortunately for me, Jesus doesn’t say, “Debbie wants me to take care of her overeating, but I’ve got much more important things to do first, so I’ll leave it until later.” But He turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind Me, Satan: thou art an offence unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Matthew 16:23

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: