Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

What Do Money and Candy Have to Do With It?

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver:

It seems that food and money have been a priority in my life as far back as I can remember. I used to save all my nickels and dimes up to go to the candy store. I was oblivious to the fact that they sold groceries there. I had saved up a significant amount of money and planned to buy lots and lots of candy with it. Having all that candy wasn't enough for me. I wanted everyone else to be in awe of me, so I invited my siblings and the neighbor kids with me to the store.

I had almost a full lunch sack's worth of candy and I was flaunting it BIG TIME to my "following". I gloated as I handed each of them a measly penny candy and kept the rest to eat in front of them. For my first piece of candy, I took out one of the extra long candy bars. As I drew attention to what I had and they didn't, I took a bite. Well, God saw what I was doing and wanted to re-direct me. Was I ever shocked and disappointed that with my first bite, my tooth came out and hurt so much that I couldn't eat any more of the candy bar.

When I took the candy bar with my tooth sticking in it to show my parents, they told me that I couldn't have any more candy and needed to divide that candy with my "following". I was so upset!!! I had saved up for that big bag of candy, not them, and that wasn't fair!!! The candy and the money I had lost had become too important to me. I wasn't being a very good example of how God works in my life as I walked down the street gloating to my "following".

When I write this, it makes me think of how, as and adult, money and food still become too important too me. I have goals to save toward my retirement account, but do I really share as much as I should with the needy? As a Christian, God wants me to be open to sharing my resources with others, so they can buy food for their families. I should give willingly and not grudgingly like I did when I had to share my candy. "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver:"

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: