Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

I Was Consumed With Not Feeling Good About Myself

Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. Psalm 31:9

I found that when I was heaviest over 30+ years ago, I found that I was so consumed with not feeling good about myself and my body, that it clouded my relationships with my family. I would go to get dressed for church, but my clothes didn't fit well.  I found myself not really wanting to go to church where others would see me in ill-fitting clothes.

During the week, when I couldn't find much to wear, I found myself being cranky with my family who had nothing to do with the size of my clothes. I feel badly about it now, but at the time, that's where I was.

There was a period of time where God had me see how I was acting to others and how overeating food had been controlling my life, how I felt about myself, the things I was willing to do in public, and my interactions with my family. I didn't want to go out into the public unless it was absolutely necessary, which means that my children didn't get to go to some of the activities I might have done otherwise.

It seemed as if I was watching my food related actions/reactions, almost from a distance, as I was in the midst of doing them. All I can say is it was like God was having me see myself doing these things and see how they affected my family, affected me, and my relationship with God. I seemed more "I-me" focused because I was in the midst of pain (grief) and wasn't able to change my actions for long, although I went on many diets. I lost some weight on some, but never kept it off for long, which seemed to make me feel even more like a failure.

When I turned my eating and my vice of control over to God, my whole life changed. I no longer walked about in overtones of grief from day to day. God is the light of my life and saved me from myself and my weaknesses. So, although I will talk on the blog about many of the feelings I had while I was losing the weight or maintaining the weight loss, God has moved me beyond these feelings, although I may find myself slipping back into old patterns at times, especially when I get sloppy with my food program at times like now. That's why it's vitally important that I have an on-going active relationship with God.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: