Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Eating a Sandwich After the Mayo Side of the Bread Was Stuck to the Floor...

Philippians 4: 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

You may wonder why I talk more about feelings than food or eating. Well, that's a good question. It has been my experience that my overeating has stemmed more from the things I felt than what I ate. I have tended to eat when I was exceptionally happy, sad, upset, fearful, angry, afraid of the unknown, etc. It wasn't as much that any particular food was calling me as much as I turned to food instead of dealing with my feelings, some of which I hadn't even realized I had, at the time.

I remember one time, eating fried egg sandwiches. I had already eaten two and made myself another fried egg sandwich. In carrying it over to the table, the sandwich fell on the floor with the mayo side of the bread stuck to the floor. I looked at it on the floor and picked up the bread that was sticking to the floor and reassembled my fried egg sandwich and ate it. Yuck!

 I explained in the last blog post that there was a period of time before I turned my overeating to God, that God had me watching myself and the control food had on my life. It was kind of strange and kind of a miracle at the same time. It showed me that I was turning to food to deal with my feelings and stress instead of turning to God with these.

Well, God had a nudging in my heart. Why had I eaten a third sandwich, especially one that was so gross? I wasn't sure and was prayerful about it. What was in my mind, which is often how God works in my life, is that I wasn't hungry at all. The third sandwich hadn't even appealed to me, yet I still ate it and I wasn't even that fond of fried egg sandwiches. I realized that there was another reason I had eaten it. I was stressed with something at the time and hadn't even realized that I was concerned about it.

I can't say that it was only this experience, but many experiences over months, this being a more memorable one, that led me to see how my overeating was related to something more. I had just thought I was overweight because I was weak and had no control in my life. Actually, the opposite was true.

One of my biggest vices is "control." I tried to control things so much in my life that I didn't turn issues of concern over to God. I figured that I would try to remedy them and if they didn't turn out,  I would turn them over to God. That's not what God wants though. He wants us to turn to Him in all things. As the verse above says, " Be careful for nothing," I found that I'm not supposed to try to handle things by myself, first.  The verse goes on to say, "but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: