Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

Statements That Bring Out the Little Child in Me

1 John 4: 7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knowth not God; for God is love.

I was going to a park for kids and had thrown on my windbreaker when it really wasn't that cold. As I framed this blog post in my mind, I was going to explain that I threw the windbreaker around me, because I was uncomfortable with people seeing my thinner body, which has been the case many times. As I thought this through, I realized that really wasn't the truth. I actually put the windbreaker on, because I'm bloated right now and my stomach is sticking out more than I like. I feel compelled to be totally honest with you and with myself on this blog.

Anyway, this man walked by me and said, "Fatty." That's all he had to say to bring out the little child in me. At first, I was stunned as I continued to walk through the park following my grandchild as if nothing had just happened. I went through various phases after his remark, including coming up with some good comebacks, should he say anything else to me.

I tried to decide how reasonable his remark was. As I thought about it, I considered taking off my windbreaker, since I was only ten pounds from my goal weight. I'd show him that I wasn't fat. Then, I realized that I don't have to prove anything to anyone. My weight up or down is between God and me.

It's noteworthy that I bought into all those insecurities I used to have, because someone made a rude comment to me. I don't have to own rude comments by others, nor do you. We don't have to allow other people the ability to tell us who we are. We are the precious children of God, regardless of our weight.

I passed this man several times through the afternoon, but never said anything to him. Was I being a chicken or a Christian? The thing that seemed ironic was that this man was no less than fifty pounds overweight. You would think he would be more sensitive to what it feels like to be called rude names.

The point of this blog post is two-fold. The first is that we don't have to let other people further hurt our self-esteem by their insensitive comments.  The second is that I am supposed to be able to forgive this person, regardless of how he made me feel, because that's what Jesus does for me each day and that's what He would want. I have to turn my willingness to forgive this person into God's very capable hands. 1 John 4: 7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knowth not God; for God is love.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: