Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

What Kind of Friends Are They?

Should thy lies make men hold their peace? And when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed? Job 11:3

Job had been through all these trials. He had lost his children, his cattle, his standing in the community, and his health. His supposed friends were there to comfort him. What kind of friends were they, anyway? All they did was to Job down. They said the passage above to him: Should thy lies make men hold their peace? And when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed? Job 11:3

They told him in many different ways that the terrible things that had befallen Job were because he was a bad person, must have sinned and must have offended God in some way. Each and every one of his supposed friends tried to make him feel terrible about himself, but Job stood strong in his faith in God throughout the time his friends ran him down.

Well, this makes me think of us. I know that in my life, I didn’t always pick friends that were the most supportive. Some of them were quick to point out my faults. Ann Landers, in an old article, said that friends do that to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Some of my supposed friends made me feel terrible about my weight, like I deserved it, which is very similar to the comments from Job’s supposed friends. This made me feel terrible about myself. There were times in my life where I was involved in unhealthy relationships, because I felt unworthy of more.

Fortunately for me, God showed me that it was better to have no friends than to have ones that continually put me down and make me feel terrible about myself. God showed me that it was worth waiting for healthy friendships and relationships where my feelings and needs are respected. God also showed me that He loves me just the way I am, whatever my weight is…and He loves you too! Should thy lies make men hold their peace? And when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed? Job 11:3

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: