Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

My Progression of Forgiveness...

Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. Colossians 3:13

This has been a central, growing theme in my life over the last six months or so. I've attempted to be more forgiving of those who have offended me, have been insensitive to me when I was overweight, and those who didn't treat me with respect, etc. Initially, I would just pray to God saying that I forgave them for the things that they did.

Later in this phase, I started praying, saying that I forgave them for the thing they did, because they must have had: a bad day, a bad life, been treated insensitively in their lives, etc. I was trying to find a reason to rationalize what they did, so I could feel some sympathy toward them and better understand what led them to be insensitive to me.

Next in this phase, I started praying, telling God that I forgave them, really because I wanted God to forgive me, as well. At this point, I didn't focus on their original motives for being insensitive to me, life issues, etc. Although this was better than where I originally started, I was somewhat saying through my prayer that I forgave people only because I wanted God to forgive me, too. That wasn't totally forgiving them. I was expecting a pay-off in return, my forgiveness for all my wrong doings.

Finally, in my progression of forgiveness, I just needed to pray, forgiving them regardless of anything else: not to get forgiveness in return, not to better understand them, not for any other reason. Having resentments against others fills our soul up and takes up room that we should leave open for our relationship with Christ. Forgiving others is a crucial step. I have to learn to be more open to being the person Christ genuinely wants me to be.
Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.   Colossians 3:13

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: