Since I have used this Bible passage as an example of how the Lord God has positively influenced my overeating, this doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the verse. Debbie

COE Support Note:

If you REALLY want to read how Christ helped me throughout this weight loss and even when I was tempted, you should read some of the 100's of previous posts on https://christianovereaterssupport.blogspot.com/

How Many Times Have I Turned to Food First?

And He [God] humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live. Deuteronomy 8:3

I don't think I could venture to tell you how many million times I have turned to food first to comfort me before turning to Christ. What a waste of time and self-loathing that was. Food can't heal my aching soul, but Jesus can. Food can't let me know that everything is going to be OK if I just kept eating, but Jesus can let me know He will get me through everything good and bad. It can't provide for my needs, take away my fears, but Jesus can! 

I remember reading about a bumper sticker one time that left a big impression on me. It said: Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting a Different Result. Well, that's pretty much what I was doing all those years when I kept turning to food instead of to Christ in times of stress, etc.

Now, that I know the error of my ways, do I turn to Christ first in times of stress, etc? Good question. If I'm being really honest with you, I'd have to tell you no, but more often than I used to. It seems that when I'm starting to down a bag of tortilla chips it will dawn on me that I must have something stressing me and that I need to go someplace quiet to be prayerful about it.  It's two steps forward-one back, but God is holding my hand and leading me through it. And He [God] humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live. Deuteronomy 8:3 

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my overeating, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verse.

Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create Below: